One day, while browsing through Facebook, I came upon this "Guide to Things to do in Topeka, KS" . So today, Chris and I decided to check a few of these sites out for ourselves. In the past I've been told that folks have trouble accessing my Google photos when clicking on the link at the end of the blog. As a result, I will start posting more of my photos in this blog. Chris and I both had a late breakfast (brunch?) so we didn't leave home until after 11:00AM. We took the back roads (32 west from Bonner Springs to Lawrence; 24 west to Topeka). While waiting for a train we noticed it was 64 degrees outside so we put the top down for our exploration of Topeka. Our first stop was the Great Overland Station, an old Union Pacific train depot at 701 N Kansas Avenue. In front were U.S. flags, one for each state. Next on our tour was the Belshe Fire Hydrant Garden located at 720 SW 5th Street. As you can see in the photos, this is a private residence. The article said the co...
We blew out of Holbrook, AZ at 9:00am. It was cloudy and 42 degrees. I-40 took us west a short distance to Winslow, AZ, where we stopped to get a few photos "standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona." Our route continued westbound on I-40 to Flagstaff, where we turned south on I-17 and then 89A towards Sedona, AZ. As we started south on 89A from I-17 we were at a high enough elevation that there was still snow along the road. It was also 40 degrees. The ride through Oak Creek Canyon into Sedona was beautiful. Chris made an attempt to take photos from the car because we could not find a suitable place to stop but the photos don't do justice to the scenery. We found a parking area in Sedona and spent a little time wandering around, shopping and taking photos. The red rock formations surrounding the city were gorgeous. Eventually we enjoyed lunch at Sedona Pizza Company. After lunch we rode south on 179 to Bell Rock. The scenery along the way was beautiful....
It got cold last night. Way to cold for Montgomery, AL. When we woke up this morning it was 32 degrees. It climbed to 34 when we left our hotel. As we proceeded down the highway the temperature actually dropped and our high today was 37. I always thought it was warm in the south. The route for today was I-65 south to exit 158; 26 west to Hayneville; 21 west (or south?); 28 west to Camden; 10 west into Mississippi where it became 19 west; I-20 west at Meridian to exit 77; 13 north to Roosevelt State Park; I-20 west to Vicksburg, MS, where we stopped for the day. In Hayneville, AL there was a big white courthouse called the John "Big John" Williams Courthouse. Sounds like a southern name. Camden, AL had a very colorful, informative and picturesque water tower. On this trip we've seen lots of log hauling trucks, especially in north Florida. On our route through Alabama today they were especially thick. Chili's was our lunch spot today in Meridian, MS before hammering w...
Comments