December 26th Ride

On Christmas day it was a balmy 62 degrees and I really wanted to ride but it was wet and rainy all day.  I didn't want to ride bad enough to get the motorcycle all dirty.  This afternoon it reached 48 degrees with clear blue skies so I decided to head out for a quick fix.

I headed out on one of my favorite routes when I have limited time.  Riding west on Holiday Drive west of Lake Quivira I passed another motorcyclist on a silver Goldwing going the opposite direction.  At Interstate 435 I headed north, passing a couple enjoying the opportunity to ride.

When I exited at Kansas Highway 5 I was surprised to see good friend Larry pull up next to me.
As it turns out, he was the rider on the silver Goldwing that I passed on Holiday Drive.  He had turned around, hauled ass and caught up with me.  After hearing where I was headed he said he'd tag along.

We rode Highway 5 north to Lansing and Leavenworth, passing a minimum security prison and the Leavenworth National Cemetery.  This highway isn't very long but it has some twisties, which makes it fun to ride.  It is also designated as a Frontier Military Historic Byway.


In Leavenworth we turned south on Kansas Highway 7.  At Eisenhower Road we headed west until we reached Tonganoxie Road, where we rode south and west to Tonganoxie.  Just south of town we hopped on 222nd Street and rode south to Kansas Highway 32 (also known as the Kaw Valley Scenic Highway).

Riding eastbound on 32 we passed through Linwood and turned south on Golden Road, which took us south and east to 166th Street, where we turned south and rode across the Kansas River into DeSoto.

83rd Street took us east out of DeSoto into Shawnee and, after gassing up at a Quik Trip, Larry and I parted ways and rode to our respective homes.

I was thankful for the opportunity to ride and really enjoyed the 80 mile loop, which was made all the more enjoyable by riding it with Larry.  By the time we arrived home the temperature had dropped to 45.

Click on this link to see all the photos taken on this ride: Pics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride