Apple Festival; Versailles, MO

On Friday, 10/1/10, Bill & Jamie, Gary & Judy, and Chris & I took off for the Apple Festival in Versailles, MO. http://versailleschamber.com/apple-festival-2010/

The weather was beautiful.  It was sunny and 75 degrees.  Our first stop was at a Casey’s in Windsor, MO where took a butt break and gassed up the motorcycles.

Somewhere on Hwy 52 east of Cole Camp, MO I rode over some debris (dirt clods, rocks, etc) in the road.  I immediately heard a loud clattering sound under my motorcycle and I thought I might be dragging some debris.  I stopped along the road and saw that the spring that holds my center stand off the ground was missing and the center stand was dragging the ground.  We returned to the area of debris to look for the missing spring.  I didn’t hold out much hope that the spring would be located or located undamaged.  I was pleasantly surprised when I found it a couple feet off the pavement and it was not broken.  I attempted to put the spring back on.DSCN2504 After burning my finger on the exhaust and cutting my finger Bill took over.  Eventually Bill and Gary, working together as a finely tuned mechanical instrument, were able to get the spring back on and we were on the road again.

We stopped for the day just east of Eldon, MO at the junction of Highways 52 and 54 at the Heritage Inn & Suites.DSCN2510 We had dinner at the nearby Silver Dollar’s Restaurant.  The all-u-can-eat fried walleye and the fried chicken were larrapin good.

On Saturday, 10/2/10, we departed our motel at 9:00 am.  It was mostly cloudy and 57 degrees.  The high for the day ended up being only 61 degrees but it was a beautiful day for riding.

It was a short ride into Versailles for the Apple Festival, but our tour guide, Bill, took us on County Road W, which was a great ride with sweeping turns and pretty scenery.DSCN2524

At the Apple Festival we enjoyed people watching, eating, drinking, shopping, watching the parade, listening to live gospel music, and checking out the car show.  Gary, Bill, and I used the shuttle to get to and from the car show.  The shuttles consisted of large flat bed trailers with hay bales for seats pulled by large tractors.DSCN2556

We left Versailles at about 3:00 pm.  On the way home we stopped for pictures at the Florence United Methodist Church and for dinner at LeMaire’s Cajun Catfish in Sedalia, MO.

We arrived home around 7:30 pm with 336 miles under our belts.  It was a great trip.  Thanks Bill and Jamie!  For more pictures of the trip click on the following link: http://picasaweb.google.com/goldwinger.shawnee/VersaillesAppleFestival2010?feat=directlink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride