Carlsbad Caverns Ride; Day 1; April 16th

We departed home in Shawnee, KS at 12:40 pm.  It was 50 degrees under blue clear skies.  We would have left in the morning but it was 36 degrees when we got up.

We rode south on I-35 to Emporia, where we refueled, and then it was on to Wichita.  We had an early supper at Jimmie’s Diner on Rock Road with a very good friend, Joe.Joe & I with Joe's 2001 BMW R1200; Wichita, KSChris and I first met Joe and his wife, Donna, back in 1973 when I was attending Wichita State University.  Joe and Donna lived in the same married housing as us.  Back then, Joe and I worked a summer job as painters.  He rode an old BSA and I rode an old Triumph.  We’d have fun riding (and occasionally racing) to and from work.  Now Joe rides a 2001 BMW R1200.  We had a good time catching up with Joe over a good meal.

From Wichita we rode west on Hwy 54 to Kingman (my parents once lived here), where we gassed up at a Casey’s.  Then it was on to Greensburg, KS, where we arrived at 8:00 pm.  We bunked down for the night at the Greensburg Inn.Greensburg Inn; Greensburg, KSThe high temperature for the day was 72 degrees.  It was 66 when we landed in Greensburg.  We rode 318 miles.

For more pictures from today click on the following link: https://picasaweb.google.com/goldwinger.shawnee/CarlsbadCavernsRide041611?feat=directlink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride