The McClouth Loop

Today was a beautiful day in Kansas. The projected high was in the 60’s and the sun was shining. Chris had an afternoon date with some friends so I took the opportunity for a solo ride.

I rode I-435 north into Missouri and then Hwy 45 north.  Hwy 45 goes west into the Missouri River valley before turning north. The road is paralleled on the west by railroad tracks and on the east by bluffs.Hwy 45 northboundAt Hwy 92 I turned west and rode to Kansas across the Missouri River.Hwy 92 bridge over the Missouri River between Kansas & Missouri

Leavenworth, KS was on the other side of the bridge.  A long time ago I read Undaunted Courage, an interesting book on the Lewis & Clark expedition. Since then I’ve been curious about all things Lewis & Clark.  On numerous occasions I’ve ridden through Leavenworth and noticed a sign identifying a turn to a Riverfront Park with a Lewis and Clark site.  Today, finally, I decided to check it out.Leavenworth, KSOn July 1, 1804, the Lewis & Clark expedition passed here on their way north.  It still amazes me that they were able to travel upstream with no motor – manpower only.Leavenworth, KS

From Leavenworth I rode west to McClouth . . . . . Hwy 92 between Leavenworth and McClouth, KS (who said Kansas roads were all flat and straight?)and then east to Tonganoxie.Hwy 16 headed into Tonganoxie, KS

From Tonganoxie my Goldwing took me south and east to De Soto, KS.  At De Soto I crossed the Kansas River, which was very low. We are in bad need of some rain or a bunch of snow.Kansas RiverMy friend, Gary (a fellow Goldwing rider), lives on the east side of De Soto so I stopped to visit for a time before heading home.

It was a very relaxing ride of 110 miles with a high of 68 degrees – a GREAT way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride