Figure 8 Ride

A group of retirees, of which I am  a member, were having lunch today at Tanner's in western Shawnee, KS. Three of the retirees are Goldwing riders. I was pleased this morning when I saw an email from Larry asking Bruce and I if we wanted to go on a ride this morning before lunch. It was a splendid idea!

We met at Casey's in western Shawnee before taking off north on I-435 shortly after 8:00. Skies were clear and it was in the low 70's. We crossed the Kansas and Missouri rivers before exiting at 152 Highway in Missouri, where we caught county road N north to Platte City. A very short distance on Highways 92 and 273 took us  to 371, which we rode north to the south edge of St Joseph, MO. It was a pretty ride and we saw a lot of tall corn.

After a break in St. Joe we took off southeast on 169 Highway all the way to Smithville. Highway 92 took us west almost to Leavenworth, KS, where we caught Highway 45 southbound. As I was riding on 45 it occurred to me that we just rode a big flat figure 8. When we reached I-435 it took us south into Shawnee and we arrived at Tanner's 10 minutes ahead of schedule.
Bruce, Larry & the Wings at Tanner's in western Shawnee
Bruce led the ride today on a route of his choosing. I really enjoyed his route and discovered a new way to get to St. Joe using secondary roads.

Seven retirees and one spouse enjoyed a good lunch. Most of us partook of the "taco Tuesday" special of 99 cent crispy tacos.  The ride today was 150 miles with a high temp of 88.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride