Pacific Northwest; Day 11

Cloudy and 55 degrees today as we departed our motel in Kelso, WA. We drove west to Astoria, OR and caught Hwy 101 (again) southbound along the Oregon Coast.

As we arrived at Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach it started to rain lightly and the wind started to blow - hard. There is a scenic view area that overlooks Cannon Beach and haystack rock. Due to the rain, however, I did not use my nice new Nikon camera. In fact, all but one photo today was taken with my iPhone.

Leaving Ecola State Park we drove into Cannon Beach and took off on foot (umbrellas in hand) looking for Haystack Rock. We found it!
On the way back to our car Chris did a little shopping and I grabbed a foo-foo coffee, a white chocolate, caramel, English toffee latte. I may need to turn in my man card but it sure tasted good! We drove a short distance south on Hwy 101 where I was able to use my Nikon to shoot a photo of Haystack Rock from a distance. It was barely misting at the time.

Further south, on the north side of Garibaldi, OR we had lunch at Pirate's Cove. Good halibut fish and chips and clam chowder. While eating we had a view of Tillamook Bay.

Our next stop was the Cape Meares Lighthouse. It took much longer than it should have to get there because I took a wrong turn and went to the wrong cape. What a doofus! There was a driving wind and light rain here that made it a wee bit unpleasant. We were missing our nice rain suits that were sitting at home in a closet. While on Cape Meares we also walked to the Octopus Tree.
The lighthouse was closed in 1963.

After 208 miles (driving along the coast is slow) we called it a day in Lincoln City, OR. Our high temperature today was a whopping 58 and that was before the rain started.

To see all the photos taken today click on this link: Day 11 Photos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride