Colorado; Mountains & Aspen; Day 8

A continuation of the mouse slaying. Someone left some soapy water in the kitchen sink last night. This morning Melvin, the great white hunter, went to empty water from the sink and discovered a dead drowned mouse.

Our time at the cabin in the boonies near Nathrop, CO has come to an end. We all departed at 8:55 AM. It was clear and 47 degrees. Moyer and Susan were headed east on Hwy 24 through Colorado Springs to Limon and I-70 eastbound. Mel, Trish, Chris and I took 285 south, 291 south to Salida and 50 east to Garden City, KS. Highway 50 east of Salida is a pretty drive that parallels the Arkansas River most of the way to Canon City.

At one spot along Hwy 50 I saw 2 deer standing on an island in the middle of the river. Traffic and lack of a place to stop prevented getting a photo.

In Canon City we drove past the Colorado Territorial Correctional Facility. It is a medium security prison and the oldest in the Colorado Department of Corrections system. It was built in 1871 as a territorial prison and became a state prison in 1876. Long ago, when I was a youngster, our family took a tour of the prison. It made an impression. One of the rules was that young boys could not take the tour wearing shorts. Didn't want to excite the inmates, I guess.

In West Pueblo we left Hwy 50 in search of a place to eat lunch. I was a bad leader. I was focused on traffic in front of me and the search for a restaurant on the GPS. I failed to recognize that Mel & Trish had to stop at a red light behind me and I lost them, though temporarily. We met up at Cat's Pourhouse for lunch.

After losing an hour as we drove into the central time zone, we eventually arrived at our hotel in Garden City, KS at 5:30 PM. We drove 355 miles today and our high temperature was 84. It was another beautiful day with blue clear skies.

To see the six photos taken today click on this link: Day8Pics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride