Spring Chicken Ride; Day 1

Our beloved annual spring chicken ride was canceled in 2020 due to COVID-19 so I was very happy and excited to be participating this year.  I was sure Gary would have an excellent ride planned.

We met at the Gail's Harley Davidson parking lot in Grandview, MO at 8:00 AM. Eleven souls showed up at Gail's: Gary on his Goldwing; Bill on his Goldwing; James on his Goldwing; Carl on his Goldwing; John on his Goldwing; Larry on his Goldwing; Joe on his Goldwing; Chuck on his Yamaha; Rob on his BMW; Mel in his Camaro convertible; and me in my Mustang convertible.

L to R; Bill, Chuck, Carl, Joe, John

Our route today was as follows: I-49 south; 59 south at I-44 thru Diamond; BB west at Goodman; I-49 south into Arkansas; business 71 south from Bella Vista into Bentonville where we took side streets back to I-49 south; 22 west at Fort Smith; business 71 south; 271 south; I-540 & 271 south into Oklahoma; 9 west thru Spiro; 59 south; 271 west thru Wister; 1 east (Talimena National Scenic Byway) into Arkansas; 88 east to Mena, where we stopped for the day.

Shortly after 8:00 we departed Grandview. It was a beautiful day with nary a cloud in the sky and a comfortable 58 degrees.  As always, we stopped for breakfast at Mama's Kitchen in Archie, MO.



Joe had other commitments this weekend so after breakfast he went back home and our group dwindled to ten. At the conclusion of the 2019 ride Joe was the one who ended up with the chicken. Since he was leaving I took custody of the clucker until one of us screwed up and I could pass it on.

We stopped for gas in Neosho, MO and again in Fort Smith, AR. The highlight of the day's travels was the Talimena National Scenic Byway, which we rode east from Oklahoma into Arkansas. BEAUTIFUL!



We concluded our day's travels in Mena, AR, where we arrived at about 5:30 PM. We traveled 388 miles today and our high temperature was 82. Some of us ordered pizza for dinner while the rest walked across the street to dine at a Mexican restaurant. Adult beverages and conversation rounded out the evening.

To see all the photos taken today click on this link: Day 1 Photos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride