To the Mountains; Day 2

 We woke up quite early this morning. Early enough to grab a breakfast sandwich at McDonalds when they opened at 6:00AM and to get a little walk around Burlington near our hotel. It was a wonderfully cool morning. At 7:40AM we were westbound on I-70 under cloudy skies with a temperature of 61. A short distance down I-70 the temperature dropped to 57.

Our route today was I-70 west to Limon, CO; Hwy 24 southwest to Colorado Springs; I-25 north to near Denver; Hwy 6 west; I-70 west to Idaho Springs where we stopped for the day.

We arrived in Colorado Springs a little before 10:00 and it was 66 degrees. Clouds and smoke haze blocked our view of Pikes Peak. We gassed up and made a stop at Scheels because I failed to bring a jacket. I'd been meaning to replace an old jacket anyway so it all worked out.

My cousin, Deb, and her husband, Jim, live in the Springs and when we're through the area we like to visit. This time, Deb's brother (and another cousin of mine), Mark, came down from Castle Rock so we got to visit with him also. Jim cooked up some tasty chicken and noodle soup and a cherry crisp, which we all enjoyed for lunch. After leaving I was irritated with myself because I failed to take photos.

I took a few pics as we drove west from Denver into the mountains.

It was 73 degrees when we left Colorado Springs and 72 when we arrived in Idaho Springs at 3:55PM. Chris and I checked into our hotel and later Mel, Trish, Moyer and Sue showed up. We're all driving red sports cars. Mel's is the Camaro, Moyer's is the Corvette and mine is the fine looking Mustang.



Our hotel room backs up to a creek and we're looking forward to falling asleep to that sound.

As we sat on the deck of our hotel room we saw a herd of big horn sheep. Two of the males butted heads a couple times like they hadn't decided who the boss was yet.

The route today covered 250 miles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride