Northeast or Bust; Day 17

We left our motel at 8:05 and it was a chilly cloudy 46.  As we were riding westbound on I-70 we encountered a few light sprinkles here and there.

While we were riding, Bill got a phone call from Gary, who said he just received a call from Rod, who said he saw us as he passed us (going the opposite direction) on I-70.  Rod was on his way to pick up Gary and his bike.  Rod later sent me some pictures.  This is a sad sight – a Goldwing being trailered down the road.IMG_0826

We crossed from Ohio into Indiana and as we approached the exit for Knightstown I saw an advertisement for the “Hoosier Gym”.  We made the side trip down from I-70 to Knightson, IN.  The most excellent movie, “Hoosiers”, was made in 1985.  This gym in Knightstown was used to portray the home town Hickory High School gym in the movie.  It was very cool to see it.DSCN8304The lady who showed me around told me that all the boys who played on the Hickory High basketball team in the movie were high school basketball players from Indiana, not actors.  The only exception was the boy who played the son of the town drunk.  She also told me that, since this is the 30th anniversary of the making of the movie, the Indiana Pacers will wear Hickory jerseys for six games this season.  I asked, and Knightstown is NOT named after Bobby Knight.

We continued west on I-70 through Indianapolis and into Illinois before stopping for lunch at the Backyard BBQ in Greenup, IL.  Their special was pulled pork nachos so Chris and I split one of those plus she had a bowl of potato soup and I had a bowl of ham and beans.  We enjoyed it!DSCN8307 (2)

I-70 and I-270 took us from Illinois into Missouri and around St. Louis. to I-70 westbound.  As we started to look for motels Larry informed us he was going to ride on home.  At the time of this writing Larry is enjoying the comforts of home (Bev).

Bill, Jamie, Chis and I called it a night at a Holiday Inn Express in Warrenton, MO.  We rode 405 miles today and the high temperature was 57.  We never saw sunshine.

Also, Rod, Gary and Bill are still trailering the Golding back home.  As of 7:30 they were just west of St. Louis, very close to where we’re spending the night.

To see all the pictures taken today click on the following link: https://goo.gl/photos/JJnYcAJfEt9UjYAE9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride