Montana & Canada; Day 12

Before I get started on today, I need to provide a couple tid-bits of information that I neglected to share about yesterday.

(1) We saw two deer in downtown Cody, WY. That was weird. We saw our first antelope of this trip just north of Thermopolis.

(2) When I was making reservations for last nights stay at the Elk Antler Inn in Thermopolis the lady I was talking to said she recognized the area code of my phone number as being from Kansas City. I told her I was from Shawnee, KS. She said she graduated from SMNW High School in 1975 (four years after me). It is a small world.

Outside our motel this morning I saw a perfect demonstration between the difference between Harley riders and Goldwing riders. Harleys are towed and Wings are ridden.

We departed Thermopolis at 8:50 this morning. We had to wait awhile for a light rain to end. After it did, the sun came out. It was 55 degrees, much better than the last couple of mornings.

Highway 20 took us south and we immediately found ourselves in Wind River Canyon with the Big Horn River running through it.
It was a pretty ride. What was weird though, was that we were traveling southbound, downhill through the canyon. The Big Horn River was running north. Upon exiting the canyon near Boysen Reservoir it became cloudy again.

At Shoshoni, WY we turned east on Hwy 20 and it became sunny again.
Between Shoshoni and the Casper area on Highway 20 Chris counted 180 antelope. They were all over the place. We also stopped at a rest area that had a sign explaining why there were so many antelope here (see the link to pictures at the end). In that same rest area there was a sign posted on the building that gave Chris the heebie-jeebies. She thought they might be in the women's bathroom.

 At Mills, WY (just west of Casper) we stopped for lunch at the Full House Chinese Restaurant for a larrapin good lunch. After lunch we rode south to Medicine Bow, where we stopped for a break before riding on to Cheyenne. As we were leaving Medicine Bow we had to slow for two pedestrians.
On our way to Cheyenne we ran into some rain but we'd spotted it well in advance so we had our rain suits on and were good to go.

On I-80 east of Laramie we passed a Lincoln memorial at a point where I-80 reaches it's highest elevation of 8,640 feet. For more detail check out this link: LincolnMemorial_I-80

Once we checked into our room in Cheyenne we left to see the state capitol. As luck would have it the building was closed and had scaffolding all around it so we couldn't really see what it looked like. We whiffed again!

To view all the pics taken today click on the following link:
Pics day 12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride