Break from Winter; Day 10; Tucson to Los Lunas

We left the resort in Tucson, AZ at 6:45. It was dark and 39 degrees.

Our route today was I-10 eastbound to Lordsburg, NM and 90 north to Silver City. The plan was to drive north from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. I checked the web site for the cliff dwellings the night before and it said they were operating on winter hours but it did not say what winter hours were. So I called them from Silver City. I was told they were open but was warned that the roads on the way up were ice covered. No way was I driving Poonie on ice covered mountain roads. So we made new plans.

We stopped at a McDonalds for a foo-foo coffee and to check out the map. As our luck today would have it, McDonalds did not have the milk necessary to make the foo-foo coffee. So we settled for French fries. We canceled our hotel reservation in Silver City and made a new one for Los Lunas.

Our intended route from Silver City was 180 south a very short distance and then I intended to take 152 eastbound. The gps, however, was sending me south on 180 to 26 east to I-25 north. I checked the map again and this gps route was sending us way south. So I chose 152 eastbound. It was a great route taking us up and over mountains with many twists and turns. The scenery was great. The only drawback was that Remus got a little car sick.




On the outskirts of Hillsboro we saw 7 deer all standing near the highway - thankfully they were NOT on the highway.



At Interstate 25 we drove north to Truth or Consequences, where we enjoyed a chicken fried steak lunch at Johnny B's.



We called it a day a little ways further north on I-25 at Los Lunas, NM. We drove 435 miles. Our low temp was 28 and our high was 44. We drove through falling snow the last 15 miles and it was 32 when we stopped. There was no snow accumulation on the highway.

To see all the photos taken today click on the following link: Day 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride