North Dakota and Minnesota; Day 1

Chris, Gary, and I departed today at 10:10 am from 10550 Quivira, Overland Park, Kansas. It was cloudy and 64 degrees. We rode I-435 east and north around Kansas City to I-35 north. On the north east side of the metro area we ran into some wet streets, but no rain. Someday I’ll learn not to clean my motorcycle before I leave on a ride.

We exited I-35 at Hwy 136 in Bethany, MO where we stopped for gas. It turned sunny long before we got to Bethany. Hwy 136 took us east to Hwy 63 north into Iowa and then Hwy 2 east to Bloomfield, IA. There we met Chris’ aunt and cousin, Myrna and Deb, for lunch at the Southfork restaurant. We all had a larrapin (that means better than finger-lickin good) tenderloin sandwich. It was one of the best tenderloins I ever had – honest.

After lunch Chris left with Myrna and Deb to spend a few days with Deb. Gary and I then took off for Sioux Falls, SD. Our goal was to meet with Mel and Moyer in Sioux Falls and ride for several days in North Dakota and northern Minnesota. From Bloomfield we rode north on Hwy 63 to Hwy 34 west to Chariton, IA where we stopped for gas. After fueling the wings we continued west to I-35 north to I-80 west.

After 150 miles we stopped in Walnut, IA for gas and a break.We continued west on I-80 to I-680 west to I-29 north. Before reaching I-29 we were again under cloudy skies. As we rode north on I-29 we hit some very light sporadic rain. We stopped at a rest-area so I could swap out my mesh jacket for my leather.

Then it was back north on I-29 and after another gas stop we arrived at the Ramada motel in Sioux Falls, SD (exit 79 off of I-29) at 9:40 pm. We met up with Mel and Moyer, had a light supper, shared a fair quantity of B.S., and then went to sleep.

Aside from the rain, it was a great day for riding. The high was 75, the low was 64, and most of the time it was sunny. Gary and I rode 650 miles. Mel and Moyer rode about 355 miles to Sioux Falls from the Kansas City area.

For more pictures click on the attached link: http://picasaweb.google.com/goldwinger.shawnee/NorthDakotaMinnesotaDay1?feat=directlink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride