Run to the Rockies; Day 3

Yesterday evening I made a post on Facebook saying I was in Montrose, CO.  Facebook friend, Latisha, made a comment, advising me that her parents (Mike and Jill) were camping in Ouray, CO.  Mike is my cousin.  I decided to try to see them.  I called Mike this morning and he said they were up for a visit.

I departed my motel in Montrose at 7:35.  It was 57 degrees and there was a light drizzle.  Riding southbound on Hwy 550 I encountered road construction just north of Ridgway which delayed me quite awhile.  Finally I made it to Ouray where I found Mike and Jill in their campground.  They have quite a rig . . . . Jill & Mike in Ouray, COand  I enjoyed my visit with them.

From Ouray the Million Dollar Highway (550) took me south up and into the mountains.  It is a beautiful ride.Million Dollar HighwayI stopped at the Molas Pass summit and took a few pictures.selfie at Molas Pass Summit

In Durango, CO I took Hwy 160 eastbound.  I shed my rain suit and the way the sky looked I thought the rain suit would not be needed the rest of the day.  I enjoyed lunch in Pagosa Springs and when I left there the weather was still good.

Heading up to Wolf Creek Pass, however, the weather changed and storm clouds started to appear.  It rained between the pass and South Fork.  At Monte Vista rain clouds starting moving in from the south and they chased me eastbound to Walsenburg.rain storm chasing me eastbound on Hwy 160

From Walsenburg I took Hwy 10 across 70+ miles of desolate highway to LaJunta.view along Hwy 10 between Walsenburg, CO and LaJunta, COAnd the closer I got to LaJunta the darker the clouds got.  After I checked into my motel and while I was riding to get gas it rained on me.

It was a pretty day of riding.  I covered 406 miles.  The high temperature was 75 and the low was 48.  Tomorrow I go home.

For more pictures from today click on the following link: https://plus.google.com/photos/104542123131082631220/albums/6169330730698266065?authkey=CKWxvd62r6-8nwE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado; Day 9; June 30, 2012

Florida Trip; Day 15

My Last Ride